Saturday, March 27, 2010


I have commented about Theora and H264 in my blog post before. The above OSNews story is pretty good and it's true why should firefox and Opera support Theora when most people would use H264 on their machines? Imagine 98% would be using H264 and 2% using Theora as the article states as an example.Admittingly Theora is a very good as I have tried a HTML 5 powered by Theora and it is just isn't as good (smooth) as H264. I thought of another solution to this H264 and Theora tug-of-war, which is to get all browsers to have both H264 and Theora implemented. This would solve the problem for everyone in the near future and people (content providers, end users, uploaders...) would get to choose to support H264 or Theora. It's going to be a bloat admittingly but if you want a 'peaceful' HTML 5 in an attempt to break away from Flash, this is the best temporary solution I have thought of up till now.

No comments: